We’re growing the Family History Library within our genealogy department and seeking donations. Preserve your family history by donating to our collection.
Considerations Before Donating
- Decisions about which donations are accepted by the Family History Library and LCPL lie solely with Library administration. Not every donation will be accepted.
- If materials are donated to the Library, the Library becomes the owner of the material and as such reserves the right to determine its retention, location, cataloging treatment, and other considerations related to its use, maintenance, or disposal.
- LCPL looks for genealogical records and family histories so we can preserve and share the information with the community and future generations.
Materials LCPL will accept:
- Family histories (compiled and produced in an orderly format).
- Local and county histories. Preference is given to donations relating to Lawrence County or immediate surrounding counties (i.e. Johnson, Boyd, Wayne, WV, etc.).
- Autobiographies containing genealogical material for multiple generations.
- Photographs will be accepted based on quality.
- Donations must include family name(s) and dates.
- Digital format donations will be accepted as well (i.e. flash drive, CD/DVD)
LCPL ONLY accepts materials that:
- Are legible, well organized, and of acceptable quality.Photocopies will be accepted pending quality.
- Add new information to the collection. Duplicate materials are not accepted.
- Do not violate current privacy and copyright laws. U.S. Copyright Law states that any written work created in any format after 1978 is considered copyright protected, even when not indicated.
- Donation form must be completed and submitted with items.
For more information please contact the Genealogy Coordinator, Tim Gampp, at email@example.com or (606) 638-4497 ext. 1009.