Library Geocaching Event Guidelines
What is geocaching?
Geocaching is real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
Most geocachers participate for the thrill of the hunt with no contest involved. This is perfectly fine, in fact we welcome all treasure hunters!! However, our geocaching event is different than most because it involves the possibility of winning a prize. Each geocache (plastic pumpkin) will not only contain small “treasures” but will also include 10 tickets. Participants may complete the contact information on no more than two (2) tickets and return to the library to be entered in a drawing for a Kindle Fire. See detailed rules below.
Contest Rules and Regulations
- Completed tickets recovered for each pumpkin found must be turned in to LCPL either at the front desk or dropped into the outside book drop. If tickets are placed in the book drop they must be sealed in a plastic baggie. We need your complete name and a working telephone number. If accurate contact information is not provided on tickets you will be ineligible to win the Kindle.
- Do not take the pumpkin. After you have taken your ticket please return the pumpkin where you found it.
- If you or your immediate family have won a major prize from LCPL in the past 2 years you are ineligible to win the Kindle.
- No prior clues will be given as to the location of any pumpkin. They must be found using normal geocaching procedures with a GPS device or by downloading the geocaching app on your smartphone.
- Geocaching app and coordinates information will be released to the public on Thursday September 10 no earlier than 5:00 p.m.
- All pumpkins will be placed on public property and will be spread throughout the county.
- Only numbered tickets found inside of each pumpkin will be entered into the drawing.
- Each pumpkin will hold 10 tickets and small geocaching treasures.
- There is a 2 ticket limit per person for the Kindle Fire drawing registration, but no limit on the number of pumpkins that can be found.
- Winner of the Kindle will be asked for a picture with the Kindle for the library Facebook page and website.
* Please note, participation is at your own risk. LCPL is not responsible for accidents or incidents that may occur while searching for pumpkins.